27 May 2016 | C16011
Following a recent Port State Control (PSC) inspection, three deficiencies have been imposed that resulted in the detention of the vessel. Dromon wishes to draw attention to these detainable deficiencies to avoid re-occurrence.
Ship Owners / Managers / Operators | Surveyors | Flag Administrations
Malfunctioning of fire doors / openings in fire-resisting division
Following the PSC inspection it was noted that the engine room and paint store room access self-closing doors were inoperative due to malfunctioning of self-closing devices and were back lashed in open position. It is very important to note that:
- All fire doors must have proper closing mechanisms and must not purposely open
- All fire doors must not be tied back with “hooks”
|PSC Detainable Deficiency||Properly closed fire door|
Fire dampers not as required
During the PSC inspection it was noted that both ventilation flaps on board were in a bad condition. It is very important to note that:
- Fire dampers must in a good working condition, functionally tested and examined both internally and externally
- The maintenance and inspection of the fire dampers is conducted in accordance with the Safety Management System (SMS) requirements based on Dromon Circular C13016
- Damper flaps must be structurally sound with no wastage
- The external ventilation trunk must be marked to show damper flag position “OPEN” or “CLOSE”
- The location of fire dampers must be clearly shown on the approved fire control plan
PSC Detainable Deficiency
Fixed fire extinguishing installation inoperative
- On board the vessel, the paint store sprinkler system was found inoperative. It is very important to ensure that:
The system has been serviced by an approved service provider
- The sprinkler system must be in a good working condition
- The maintenance and inspection of the system and installation is conducted as per the Safety Management System (SMS) requirements based on Dromon Circular C13016
Sprinkler system function properly maintained
Surveyors must take note on the above detainable deficiencies and give special attention during forthcoming statutory surveys, irrespective of scope. In addition Auditors must ensure that the servicing and maintenance of the above mentioned equipment is indeed carry out as per SMS of the ship following Dromon Circular 13016.
Ship Owners / Managers / Operators are encouraged to inform Masters and take corrective actions if necessary. For further assistance please contact DBS Head Office.